review: a court of wings and ruin



Synopsis from Goodreads:

Looming war threatens all Feyre holds dear in the third volume of the #1 New York Times bestselling A Court of Thorns and Roses series.
Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin's maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.
As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places. 
In this thrilling third book in the #1 New York Times bestselling series from Sarah J. Maas, the earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all. 


Oh my God. I can't believe i've finally finished reading this trilogy! It took me three weeks to finish reading ACOWAR because I had exams going on, but reading it slowly felt like it let me live in the ACOTAR world for a bit longer. I am once again very impressed with Sarah J Maas for writing yet another wonderful book. I'm rating A Court of Wings and Ruin 4.5 stars! The rating is a little lower compared to the second book,but I still enjoyed it a lot.

The main plot of this book was basically to prepare for war, gathering allies, and survive the ultimate battle with Hybern. There was  a lot of interaction with the High Lords from the other courts, and meeting those new characters gave a glimpse of what the other courts were like. I believe my favourite out of all the courts (apart from the Night Court, of course) is the Dawn Court. The description was just glorious and so incredible, I wish I could rip a portal into the pages and jump into the world!

 I did feel like some parts in the middle of the book had been draggy, but I was kept at the edge of my seat for the most part. I appreciated that there was more focus on the action rather than the romance, I reckon Sarah J Maas balanced that out very well. I loved seeing the plannings and discussions towards the upcoming war, and the war itself was jaw-dropping with all the description of gore and all the surprises that came up. The start of the book was fantastic and badass, and  oh my God that ending! I legit teared up towards the end! "Be happy, Feyre." This was the line that shattered my heart, but I think it's mostly because I just went through a breakup, haha.

There were so many new characters introduced in the third book. It was a little confusing to keep up with them all at first (especially with the names of the High Lords and which court they came from), but their personalities were quite distinct from one another so it got a lot easier to remember everyone. The relationship between the members of the Inner Circle was just so beautiful. I appreciated seeing that it wasn't perfect. They fought a lot and had plenty of arguments but it was all based on their love and loyalty towards one another. I have so much love for Azriel and Cassian after this book, I feel like hugging them tight and never letting go.

I think what i love the most about this whole series is seeing Feyre's incredible character development. She became so strong and independent, and I love that she loves and forgives herself for all the dark parts of her. She isn't perfect, but she stands true with what she believes in and seeing her rise and embrace her role as High Lady made me feel like a proud mom.

My only criticisms for the book would be that it was a bit draggy in the middle, and I was a little annoyed by how repetitive some phrases were. I can't even count how many times Sarah J Maas used "my mate" and "vulgar gesture" throughout the book. I also feel like she loves her characters a little TOO much. I reckon there should have been more significant deaths since there was a big war at the end and it's the last book for Feyre's story, but maybe i'm just bias because of Harry Potter's ending, haha.

I can't wait to see what else Sarah J Maas has to offer from this world. She created a fantasy world so vast and stunning, there could be books and books about all the different characters from all the different courts. I know i'd want to read them all, and i'm excited for the books she's planning to write.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Kamalia Hasni's books on Goodreads
An Ocean of Grey An Ocean of Grey
reviews: 71
ratings: 151 (avg rating 4.40)

A Wave of Dreams A Wave of Dreams
reviews: 14
ratings: 30 (avg rating 4.43)

Booktube