review: house of koi


Title: House of Koi

Author: Lilian Li

Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction, Asian Literature, Malaysian Fiction

Rating: 4.25 stars


Synopis: 

House of Koi is about identity and learning that, sometimes, your future is waiting for you in your past.

The story follows Mila as she strives to reconcile the person she became in an effort to fit into her American international school with the young girl she was; the girl who spoke Mandarin and Malay with ease. Is it too late to embrace both parts of herself?

When Mila is sent to the top of the mountain to live with her grandmother for a year when her parents go away for business, she cannot avoid her native tongue, even if she does try. To make matters worse, Mila must now attend a local private school, and navigate a world she seems to barely understand.

Everyone keeps telling her that she should not forget her heritage, but this only takes her deeper inside herself. That is until she meets the “Fish Boy” from the bottom of the mountain. Together, they teach one another what the other is best at. However, every time Mila asks about the past, he refuses to answer. She resolves to find out what happened that caused her to be unable to look her grandmother squarely in the eye.

   Source: Goodreads 


House of Koi is such a warm, delicious and nostalgic book that brought me back to my early teen days, and more importantly, right back home to Malaysia🤧🇲🇾

I absolutely love how very Malaysian this little gem is. I'm getting hungry again just thinking about all the exquisite Malaysian food and drinks that Mila and Sean get to eat.

Aside from all the relatable details and references to Malaysian cuisine and lifestyle, i really enjoyed reading about Mila's struggle with her identity. It's the part of the book that hits so close to home for me, having grown up overseas as a kid and coming back to Malaysia for high school (also a private school, what a coincidence!). Omg my favourite scene was when Mila played Club Penguin with her friend and the way they were messaging(the language and short forms) was SO ACCURATE and so relatable to my Year 6 days😂

I've not read anything quite as relatable as House of Koi, and although I wish I could have read this as a child, as a reminder to reassure me that things were going to be okay, I'm also glad that a book like this is now out there for someone else who was like me to be able to read and cherish.

A book like this is such a treat for all right now; for Malaysians back home to see themselves in a Young Adult novel, for Malaysians living abroad to "visit" home amidst the pandemic, and for non-Malaysians to learn about our culture and values♥️

I rated House of Koi 4 out of 5 stars and would highly recommend it to all✨ I thought the ending felt a little bit rushed and I wish we could have had a final special scene between Mila and Popo, I think they had the most intriguing relationship in the story given their past.

But to wrap this up, thank you so much @lilianofli for writing House of Koi and I can't wait to read your next book!💖


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Kamalia Hasni's books on Goodreads
An Ocean of Grey An Ocean of Grey
reviews: 71
ratings: 151 (avg rating 4.40)

A Wave of Dreams A Wave of Dreams
reviews: 14
ratings: 30 (avg rating 4.43)

Booktube