review: all the money in the world




Title: All The Money in the World

Author: Sarah Moore Fitzgerald

Genre: Middle Grade, Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction

Rating: 4.25 stars

Publication Date: 8 July 2021


Synopis:

Fifteen-year-old Penny longs for something better. Better than a small, damp flat. Better than her bullying classmates and uninterested teachers. Better than misery and poverty day in day out.

An unlikely friendship and a huge sum of money promise a whole lot of new chances for Penny, and she realises that not only can she change her life, she can change herself.

But at what cost?

Source: Goodreads


All the Money in the World by Sarah Moore Fitzgerald is my third book by this brilliant author. The Apple Tart of Hope was one of my favourite books a couple of years ago and I also enjoyed A Very Good Chance. So I was thrilled when I saw that I could request to read an ARC of Sarah's latest book on NetGalley!


This was a relatively short read, which was also why I wanted to pick it up because I felt like I was getting into a reading slump and wanted to read something quick to get me out of it. And it worked! It was very easy to get into this book and I finished it the next day.

I think what I love most about this book (and all of Sarah's books that I've read) is her gorgeous writing, and how she cleverly writes with emotion and heart. There were many highlight-worthy quotes in All the Money in the World, and personally, the main theme of this book (money/wealth/status) hits a bit too close to home for me at the moment and I felt like I was just meant to read this book right now. I really like the lesson that the main character learns by the end of the story, and the author's writing style perfectly captures it too.

I think my only criticism would be that the ending felt a little rushed and I wish that we got to explore her relationship with some of the characters a little bit more (like with Jane, who felt a little underdeveloped, and perhaps another scene with her childhood friends would have wrapped it up nicely). But it was still a lovely ending and I also really loved reading about the main character's struggle with her identity.

All in all I really enjoyed All the Money in the World. Its got some really lovely characters (I love Violet!) and it's a fun quick story with beautiful writing and wisdom. 4.25 stars. Oh, what I'd do if someone gave ME a million euros!

Thank you to the publisher for letting me read this on NetGalley 🌷

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Kamalia Hasni's books on Goodreads
An Ocean of Grey An Ocean of Grey
reviews: 71
ratings: 151 (avg rating 4.40)

A Wave of Dreams A Wave of Dreams
reviews: 14
ratings: 30 (avg rating 4.43)

Booktube