book review: scarlet



(I copied this off my GoodReads because i forgot to post it on my blog last 2 months)

For those who didn't know, Scarlet is the second book in The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer, the first book being Cinder. I wrote a review for that one, you can go check it out if you haven't read the series. I'm rating Scarlet 4.2 out of 5 stars :>

Story and plot

I thought that the story started off quite okay from the start, and constantly gets better and better. I was very impressed with the new Lunar-ish elements introduced in this book, which was very spot on for the retelling of Red Riding Hood. I liked that it followed quite true to the original tale, but at the same time it has it's own sci-fi twist in it.

Discovering the plot twists really kept me wanting to read the next chapter. Some scenes were really action-packed and seemed really intense. I like the suspense when the characters seem to be in trouble and it when it seemed impossible to escape from it. The ending was pretty cool too.

The writing

Ahh, i'm afraid here's the reason why my rating dropped to 4.2. I don't know why but i just can't seem to be able to straightaway dive into the story. Something about the writing kind of put me off, making me feel oddly on edge and sometimes feeling like I don't wanna read it. It's probably just me, but i feel like it lacks emotion. In Cinder, i thought it might have been because she was cyborg. But while reading this one even from Scarlet's perspective, I still felt that way at times. Sometimes too much of the surrounding or action was elaborated that I can't feel connected to the character(specifically Scarlet). This was mostly just in the first half of the book though. I find that when something really awesome finally happens, THAT's what finally triggers the button within me that lets me dive into the story and not have a problem with the writing. The second half was a lot better. 

The characters

I didnt like Cinder in the first book that much, but I'm quite fond of her in this one! Scarlet is kind of annoying sometimes, and i thought the romance for her was a tad bit too early and fast. The end of it was good though, i thought it was super cute. Ahhh i loved Kai's POV a lot, it was the most emotional. Wolf is an interesting character whom I'd love to know about. Thorne is spectacular, i LOVE his humour and sarcasm and he reminded me of Levi from Fangirl idek why.

All in all, the end of the book does make me want to continue with Cress, though not right away. Perhaps I'll continue next month. I don't think im enjoying this series as much as most people are yet, but hopefully i will soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Kamalia Hasni's books on Goodreads
An Ocean of Grey An Ocean of Grey
reviews: 71
ratings: 151 (avg rating 4.40)

A Wave of Dreams A Wave of Dreams
reviews: 14
ratings: 30 (avg rating 4.43)

Booktube